Jesus taught us that the gospel must go out to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8). So we’ve traditionally imagined mission to far-flung places like Africa, Asia and other countries with ‘unreached’ people groups.
But how many people in the Shire are ‘unreached’ by the good news of Jesus?
At St Luke’s our vision is to reach people near and far with the hope that we have in Christ. Just like the seven churches in Revelation, St Luke’s is to be a lamp shining brightly for Jesus in the Shire and beyond!
Here are my top 5 suggestions to let your light shine brightly:
- Pray for your witness to the ‘unreached’ people in your life
- Pursue one new friendship each year from outside church
- Invite someone along to Sunday services or Christianity Explored
- Serve in one of the evangelistic programs of the church: Ambassadors Soccer camp, Kids’ Club, ESL, Craft, ministry to Retirement Villages
- Bring your kids along to Homework Club with a friend from school; bring your sports club acquaintances to A is for Ale, J is for Jesus; ask your mums’ group along to Playtime or Little Beats; organise a group from school to come to Carols
Local mission can be scary, ‘but with God all things are possible.’ (Matthew 19:26)
Dan Bidwell, Focus Pastor for Local Mission