Choosing songs for God’s people to sing together is a thoughtful task. On the one hand our songs must reflect God’s own words to us in their content and wording yet on the other hand singing the Bible word for word rarely works. I don’t want to just sing the NIV84, yet I want to hear the NIV84 in the song. I want to hear its wording, phrasing, structure and imagery. So one of the questions I ask a song when I’m considering it for use in our church is, Is this song digested Scripture? Has the artist read, chewed on, meditated and dug into God’s word and then brought it forth again not exactly the same as it went in, but still in such a way that I can hear the Scriptures. Have the Scriptures been digested?
For example, in the song Oceans will part, Ben Fielding writes. “When I’m blind to my way, there your Spirit will pray”. In these lines I can here Romans 8:26, “In the same way, the Spirit helps us with our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.” It’s a beautiful example of digested Scripture
In our Bible study groups and corporate gatherings this term we’re giving ourselves to the book of Revelation. Below are some songs which are digested Scripture. They are from an array of artists playing in different genres and we won’t sing many of them in church together but my prayer is that in listening to them they will help all of us digest God’s word in Revelation more fully. Why not jump onto iTunes after church today and download them.
- Lion and the Lamb by Leeland from his album - Invisible
- Revelation Song by Kari Jobe from her album - Kari Jobe
- Whom shall I fear (God of angel armies) by Chris Tomlin from his album - Burning Lights
- Beautiful Saviour by Stuart Townend from his album - Ultimate Collection
- Let the earth resound by Keith and Kristyn Getty from their album - Facing a task unfinished
- Soon by Hillsong United from their album - Across the earth
- Christ is Victor by Emu music from their album - Songs of the saved
Magnification and 5pm Service Pastor